Dennis McCarthy, founder and Managing Director of MGD & Associates, has, since 2006, focused his consultation and development efforts on renewable energy and energy efficiency. He has worked with a team of professionals in assisting municipalities with energy management, including developing photo voltaic solar and wind projects, sourcing federal and state funding for energy retrofits, managing performance contracts with Energy Service Companies, reporting performance outcomes and managing internal and external relationships with clients, vendors, attorneys and government officials.
MGD has provided general management assistance to a range of renewable energy firms, at various levels of development and market advance.
Prior to founding MGD Dennis was the Managing Director at the World Trade Center Rhode Island at Bryant University, where he established an international consulting practice, oversaw development of strategic partnerships in global markets and led teams that included staff, experienced consultants and student interns.
An alumnus of the Business School of URI, Dennis is a director of the US Green Building Council-RI and an active member of energy conservation and sustainability groups that include the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association and the Appalachian Mountain Club Conservation Committee. He is a founding member of the Renew Energy Initiative.
EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
MGD & ASSOCIATES 2008-Present, Managing Director
- Developing solar and wind projects for municipalities with private sector partners
- Assisting municipalities with energy management planning including sourcing federal and state funding for energy retrofits
- Managing performance contracts with Energy Service Companies
- Providing general management services to start-up bio diesel manufacturing company, wind turbine importer/distributor and electric vehicle charging station company
- Establishing strategic partnerships with power producers and university researchers
- Liaison to government regulators
- Soliciting equity financing and developing business model to fund off-shore algae farm
- Searching for sites for renewable energy projects including solar, wind & bio diesel
- Identifying and qualifying marine engineering suppliers
World Trade Center Rhode Island 2003-2008 Bryant Universit,Managing Director
- Planned and managed the Country Partner Program targeting 9 foreign governments, federal and state, to offer access to North America for business and academia generating $275,000 in revenue;
- Built a network of over 300 strategic partners around the world, including World Trade Centers, foreign trade organizations, business councils and private enterprises to access people, markets, information and business relationships;
- Conducted client discovery interviews, proposed and implemented global business development solutions designed to increase sales and boost profitability, which led to sales increases of x%, x%, X% and x% in consecutive years;
- Wrote marketing plan to generate domestic and international sales leads and built client list from zero to 80 companies;
- Established a USA Business Development service by strengthening ties with 70 WTC’s and SBDC International Trade Centers, in the support of foreign companies seeking North American market entry;
- Managed support team made up of 13 consultants, 17 students and over 300 strategic partners to help clients increase global competitiveness;
- Leveraged brands to access U.S. and foreign government channels and private sector relationships on behalf of clients.
John H. Chafee Center for International Business 1999-2004 Bryant University, Global Link Manager
- Managed 16 international business development training programs per year for SME’s in conjunction with the US & Foreign Commercial Service and the World Trade Center Association;
- Managed people, information and technology while overseeing $600 thousand web cast training initiative;
- Co-founded a professional association of 30 videoconferencing professionals representing business, education, health care and government;
Open Borders, Inc. 1990-1999, Founder and President
- Researched markets, competition, equipment requirements and distribution patterns for capital-intensive projects in the Middle East and Central America funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development;
- Represented companies while exporting products and attending trade shows;
- Coordinated domestic and international training programs on joint ventures and strategic alliances.
Small Business Development Center 1994-1997 Bryant College, Program Manager (Part-Time)
- Administered entrepreneurship training program;
- Recruited, interviewed and selected 60 program attendees per year;
- Managed four trainers, 15 consultants and 12 guest speakers;
- Provided coaching and facilitated community outreach on behalf of attendees;
Bachelor of Science-Business Management
University of Rhode Island, Kingston,
Rhode Island Certificate of Completion;
International Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances Training,
American Management Association
- INI Graphics Net 2006: Building a Global Network of Business Relationships, Darmstadt, Germany
- NASBITE 2003: International Trade Training via the Web
- ASBDC 2002: Small Business Training in 21st Century
- NASBITE 2002: Linking International Trade with Education
- ASBDC 2000: Technology Tools to Deliver International Trade Services
- U.S. Green Business Council R.I. Chapter – Board of Directors
- Northeast Sustainable Energy Association
- Appalachian Mountain Club Conservation Committee