John Corrigan is a business, commercial and corporate lawyer with over 30 years of experience at the highest levels. In addition to his service to very large business clients, John has also served as an advisor and general counsel to many small and medium size business which make up so much of the economy of southeastern New England.
John F. Corrigan had been a Partner and shareholder of one of the very large law firms based in Providence, Rhode Island and Boston, Massachusetts for over 30 years and had served as the Chairman of that firm’s Corporate Department for almost two decades. As head of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Group during that time, he engineered many of the firm’s most sophisticated merger and acquisition transactions in the $50,000,000 to $500,000,000 “middle market.” Mr. Corrigan was the firm’s team leader in many of the firm’s most significant transactions such as:
- the $500 million acquisition of a worldwide electronics coatings business
- the $400 million cash and stock acquisition by merger of an international ceramic products business
- the $125 million joint venture that allowed the investment arm of a foreign government to realize substantial tax benefits while the client retained the option to exercise sole control over the venture.
He headed the legal effort in many other business acquisitions, dispositions, and joint ventures that have involved complex questions of international law, accounting, employee benefits law, environmental law, and anti-trust law.
In January, 2008 John established his own independent law firm in Providence, Rhode Island. The new firm intends to bring the same level of experience and expertise to the service of small and medium size businesses.
John Corrigan’s practice includes securities law and divestiture law, as well as general corporate and business law. He is a contributor to leading scholarly journals, is an active member of the American Bar Association Committee on Negotiated Acquisitions, and also serves as the ABA Subcommittee Liaison to the R.I. Securities Administrator. He was a contributing author and editor of “M&A Process, A Practical Guide for the Business Lawyer,” published by the ABA in 2005. Admitted to practice in New York, Rhode Island and Massachusetts, Mr. Corrigan is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame, where he received a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, and St. John’s University School of Law. While in law school, he was an editor of the St. John’s Law Review. Mr. Corrigan has received the highest (AV) rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® since 1988 in the fields of Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law. In 2007 he was named a Rhode Island SuperLawyer, an honor that recognizes him as a leader in the legal community.
Active in the community, Mr. Corrigan’s involvements have included:
- General Campaign Chairman and Director of the United Way of Rhode Island;
- Chairman/Officer of the American Diabetes Association-R.I. Affiliate;
- Director, Junior Achievement of R.I.;
- Director and Trustee, Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce;
- President, Caritas, Inc., a substance abuse rehabilitation facility for adolescents;
- Director, Rhode Island Legal Services
- Elected State Delegate to the Republican National Convention;
- Adjunct Professor in Mergers & Acquisitions, Roger Williams University School of Law